Hirsutism is a condition that occurs in females where they develop thick hair on the areas where the hairs usually don’t grow like the face, neck, chest etc. Mostly, women develop hair at the face and the body due to ageing (usually after menopause) but these are different from Hirsutism as they are thin. Let’s see what are the causes of Hirsutism? There is no solid reason, the researches are still being carried out, the major reasons that were noticed are:
- Increase in hormonal level (like Androgens).
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is also one of the causes.
It can rarely be caused by medication.
- Anabolic steroids: It is a class C drug used for increasing muscle mass and decreasing body fat. These steroids can develop male-type hormones.
- Cushing syndrome: It is not common; it is caused to people who are taking steroids.
- Acromegaly: It is a rare condition and if you notice it; go to the doctor immediately.
The symptoms of Hirsutism are dark and thin hair in the places where they don’t have to be. Hirsutism can be treated in two ways:
- Temporary treatments:
- Overweight: Increased obesity can lead to cell malfunction and increased hormonal levels. So, becoming underweight and eating healthy food might help fight hirsutism.
- Shaving: You can say it is a remedy, shaving, trimming, or waxing can help you think about the hair.
- Eflornithine cream (Use it after being prescribed by a doctor): It is a cream that slows down the growth on the face.
- Contraceptive pills: It helps control hormone levels.
- These medicines may or may not work for you, if they don’t under 6 months you need to see a specialist.
- Long-lasting treatments (not lifetime):
- Electrolysis: In this process, the roots of the follicles are electrocuted; completely destroying them. There are two types of methods in electrolysis thermolysis, and galvanic, and sometimes they both are used. Galvanic being the old and the safest method is used mostly. This kind of treatment is better for small areas like the legs or the back. There are side effects but they are temporary like redness, swelling, and pain in the treated area. Also, it is the only method approved by the FDA its effectiveness still depends upon the surgeon/doctor. It is better and more effective than laser hair removal, expensive as well.
- Laser hair removal: A high power beam is focused on the roots of the hair, completely retarding the growth of the hair. Unlike electrolysis, this method is used for larger areas and it is effective in the long term. This treatment is classified as “Permanent Hair Reduction” treatment, your surgeon will inform you that it will take 8-12 sessions and maintenance sessions after every 6-12 months. Its side effects include swelling and redness that might not be painful, you will not feel pain during surgery because the surgeon will apply an anaesthetic cream, hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation can occur depending on your skin colour.
- Both of the treatments are expensive as well as risky.
Hirsutism is a very common disease and if not treated in time, the condition might get worse. You can also go for remedies (remember remedies are not promoted or supported by experts):
- Use fruits like blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes.
- You can use squash and bell peppers.
- You shouldn’t eat white bread and most importantly the sugar.
- You should use olive oil and vegetable oil in meals.
- Stop eating junk food.
- Do not intake alcohol and tobacco, they are roots of almost every disease including hirsutism
- Drink more water.
These methods are good to keep your androgen level in control and also slow down the hirsutism.
Who is the best specialist for Hirsutism treatment in Lahore Pakistan?
Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry is the top specialist who is treating unwanted body hair problems permanently through Laser and medicine in Lahore Pakistan.
Which clinic is the best for Hirsutism treatment in Lahore Pakistan?
Aesthetic Medicare clinic is the best in treating this kind of problem among female patients. To get an appointment or free check-up call or WhatsApp +92-333-430-9999